WEEK 1
Following this structure:
- I will complete my sculpture of Daniel Ash for casting
- I will finish my unit 5 proposal first draft
- I will begin my artist research
- I will stick to my timetable
-I will make a blog and begin posting on it
-I will make a big order for silicone essentials, and also complete any research for the rest of the process
DAILY REVIEW
CONCLUSION OF THE WEEK AND HOW I'LL MOVE FORWARD
I'm quite happy with the progress I've made this week considering how turbulent it has been. Nothing is certain at the moment but at least my college work is a constant-so I've just been cracking on with that mostly. I don't really even want to play any video games as I usually would to pass the time, I'm quite content with working on what I'm working on. Also, I am extremely pleased with how my Daniel Ash sculpture has turned out so far, I feel like I've made a lot of progress in my sculpting abilities through my sculpture of him, profile is so much more accurate!
Some things to be wary of when I'm sculpting:
-Eyelids! I struggle with these a lot, if the eye looks wrong and I've redone it several times, its worth looking at the area around it. Are the cheekbones to high, is the brow to pronounced? I discovered that sometimes the brow bone can be quite pronounced which makes the upper eyelid appear smaller as it folds into it, be careful with this.
-Forehead! If anybody needs a caveman sculpting, I am your man. I have a tendency to make my sculptures very Neanderthal-esque with a very dense forehead! With my Daniel Ash sculpture I followed a technique of blocking in the side profile first, which meant I had now worries about the shape of his head while sculpting his face around it - I attribute all of my sculpting success with this project to this method! I will use this fully going on with my sculpting!
Mould-making:
I've made a latex cast and Modroc hard shell ready to cast my sculpture, my first attempt at this was unsuccessful as the Modroc hard shell didn't fit together and I hadn't let it dry so it fell apart when I took it off. Trying again, I added a strip of tin foil to thicken the edges so that when I took it off the sculpture, the pressure wasn't on the actual face part of the cast. This was very successful and all also do this going forward with my sculpting.
I completed all of the tasks I set this week except for following the timetable, I often ended up starting at anywhere between 9-12 am and finishing at anywhere between 8-11 pm. This I not sustainable for me and I will burn myself out! I should aim to finish all my work as per the schedule so that I can have some down time
My silicone stuff should arrive sometime next week so I'll be able to start that, I will get some feedback on my proposal too so I can continue writing that and planning. I am very tempted to restart my Peter Murphy sculpture with the last bit of clay that I've got, but that depends on when my silicone arrives.
Comments
Post a Comment