FINAL PIECE MOCKUP



Medusa Piece

I wanted to test out how I was envisioning my final piece with a singular piece first, it was heavily inspired by Damien Hirst's Medusa piece from the exhibition 'Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable' 

See the source image

I started by using a plaster cast that I had done of my early Daniel Ash piece, I knew I wanted to make something inspired by Medusa in relation to this piece because Daniel Ash has really big, thick hair and I thought it would be perfect for something like this.

Proof that Daniel Ash is the coolest person to ever exist ever has really big hair:
See the source image

Painting
I started by painting the cast in green acrylic paint, I tried to add variation in tone by improperly mixing the colours on the sculpture so some areas are more blue and some are lighter green, like how Malachite also has variations in tones and I wanted it to be close to this. I used a sating varnish over the top of this in several coats which gave it a nice, glossy finish like the stone I am trying to resemble. I added the gold leaf to the eyes afterwards because I thought it would compliment the green colour nicely, and it did. I really like the gold eyes because they add variation and help to convey religious ideals through my work because of he religious connotations of the colour of Gold. 


I used small toy snakes and painted them green and gold for the sculptures. I figured this would be a quicker way of working, as well as being far more realistic and pleasing to look at, than it would have if I had sculpted the snakes myself. Here I am looking at the composition and positioning of the snakes. I used metallic gold spray paint for the gold ones instead of acrylic paint as I had no gold metallic acrylic paint.


I attached the head to an A3 bit of mountboard, which held the weight of the sculpture surprisingly well, with epoxy glue. Once attached, I started to stick the snakes onto the half the head that I wanted them on using the epoxy glue. I also stuck his ear on. After a while, I got bored of waiting for the epoxy glue to dry, so I started to use a glue gun to stick the snakes on and I was able to speed up the process a bit.


I experimented with photographing it using my iPad screen to make an effect like coloured gels for photography, which was very effective and I really love the ambience of the picture. I also love how the varnish reflects the coloured light, which might be something to explore in my final piece.


Since  the hyper-realistic route isn't working out for me, I think that this might be a avenue to go down with my sculptures. I think it is very relevant for the religious themes of my final major, as well as being very engaging to look at and exciting to make. I am very please with how this turned out as I believe it to be very effective, especially the use of Gold and how that reflects the light differently to the rest of the sculpture. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINAL PIECE

REALISTIC SCULPTING RESEARCH / DANIEL ASH SCULPTURE

THE ART OF NOISE ART BOOK