STAND-ALONE PAINTINGS

David J
(oil pastel on paper with gold leaf and watercolour pencil)


This was one of my first oil pastel drawings. I worked from a black and white image so that I had control over the colours I wanted to use. I ended up sticking to semi-realistic colours, but also adding in blues and purples very discreetly which I think is quite effective as it makes the piece more interesting to look at. I like the treatment of chiaroscuro here as well, the bright face against the dark background works surprisingly well. I used the paint roller here to create the dark background, which gave the oil pastel something to grip to better than it would if I had just drawn onto the paper.  While I don't like the gold leaf that I added to this piece after I had finished the piece, I do like the composition of this piece and over all I think it works well. It reminded me of the Love and Rockets song 'Body and Soul Parts 1&2' from the 1994 album Hot Trip to Heaven, so I added the lyrics from the song at the bottom in watercolour pencil.

Link to the song mentioned:


David J
(acrylic paint mixed with watermixable oil paint medium Linseed oil on A3 paper)



I was experimenting with using water mixable oil paint medium in my acrylic paints. Here, I used a water mixable linseed oil to help blend the colours better. While I did find that it helped, I also found that the linseed oil was very oily and didn't always mix well with the acrylic. My acrylics did behave more like oil paints though, so it was successful in that regard. I again worked from a black and white image and a premade colour palette. I even turned my reference picture upside down to help me get the proportions right which did actually help me quite a bit as I found I wasn't caught up in my pre-existing  notion of how to draw a face and just drew what I saw instead.

Daniel Ash
(acrylic mixed with watermixable oil paint Liquin medium on A3 mountboard)




I found that when mixing the watermixable liquin medium with the acrylic, it became more tacky than with the linseed oil, however, I was able to work in small sections at a time to blend the paint together. I was really happy with how this piece turned out because of how ambient it was and how the tones were blended together with the medium. I had managed to get the portrait somewhat proportionate as well which I see as being a success. 


After this, I piping-iced black acrylic paint into the background using an icing bag. I enjoyed the dimensionality of it, and really gave this feeling of the background smothering the figure in he portrait, as the light reflects off of the high point of the acrylic and creates it's own marks on the painting. Also, the idea of depth is interesting, as the portrait is the furthest back in the portrait, whereas the background is at the front. I then gold-leafed around the edge where I hadn't painted and love how the light interacts with that as well. This idea of reflection in my work and a painting interacting with its environment is something very dynamic that I think I would like to develop on and think about with my sculpting work. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINAL PIECE

REALISTIC SCULPTING RESEARCH / DANIEL ASH SCULPTURE

THE ART OF NOISE ART BOOK